Thursday 28 March 2019

Leave a legacy


The final preacher in our opening sermon series was Julie Austin. What follows has two endings, as she adapted for different lectionary variants over two Sundays.

This year’s theme verse is “I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart;
I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.” under the heading phrase "I will tell".
Julia told us who the I is, you me all of us, I can't tell your story it's yours, Steve used the hymn verse "go tell it on the mountains" we have no mountains in Living brook a few hill yes, maybe you could tell from the top of your street or road maybe to people in the opposite street the point is to tell. Angie talked about being open and having courage to tell others even if the response isn't what you expect.
The Holy spirit is amazing and always finds away into your mind when you least expect it.
In the early hours one December morning last year I awoke from a wonderful dream, but in this one I could remember everything.
I had just done a full sermon in my sleep it was well received and I was so pleased with myself, I then woke my husband Robin to tell him what had happened , "really! was his reply" even if he can't get to church to listen to a sermon, he now knows you don't have to be in church the sermon will come to you.
At our next bible study meeting I happened to tell Beverley and Angie, and gave them a shortened version of my dream, as I watched a smile grow across Beverley's face she uttered the words, "that's it you've got the Christmas day sermon" let this be a gentle reminder be careful who you tell, but tell I did and I am hugely grateful to Beverley for letting me do the Christmas day sermon it was an absolute privilege.
I started by talking about gifts and wanted to know what happens when they receive a gift, as it was advent I used the five gifts of advent that are represented by the advent candles, Hope, Peace, Joy, Love and Jesus.
I had wrapped all five gifts up in lovely wrapping  paper, ribbons and bows with a tag that read to you from God.

I gave out each one to a willing member of the congregation, I asked are you a person who receives the gift looks at how lovely it is wrapped but doesn't open it  for fear of ruining the wrapping paper,? a few people smiled.
I asked are you a person who receives the gift but doesn't have time and is far too busy to open it ?, a few more people smiled.
I then asked are you a person who receives a gift but puts it to one side, you have so much to do but promise to open it later and it stays where you left it.
This went on right until the fifth gift the gift of Jesus this one I gave to a 5 year old boy, all the grownups held on to their gift even though I said it was theirs and the tag clearly told them it was, to you from God, the little boy looked up and said "can I open it now"?, "yes" I said, in seconds it was unwrapped and a pile of paper left on the floor. Inside all the gifts were a candle a cross key ring and this years theme verse, you see this was my point all along some grownups will always find an excuse not to open their gift even if it's from God, but a child needs no excuse to have Jesus now not later.
If you never open the gift how will you tell your story of Jesus.
The Bible is your gift, but one that is full of people who are telling their stories of Jesus, this they left for us, this is their legacy, if the likes of Paul, Matthew, Peter, Samuel, John, Luke, Jeremiah, I could go on.
If they did not tell their stories then  the amazing things Jesus had done would be forgotten.

In one of Paul's letters to the Roman's  he writes 14 But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? 15 And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!” New Living Translation (NLT)
(Pidd)
In the Gospel reading this morning we heard about those who are blessed or another word to use is happy.
20 Looking at his disciples, he said:
“Happy are you who are poor,
    for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Happy are you who hunger now,
    for you will be satisfied.
Happy are you who weep now,
    for you will laugh.
22 Happy are you when people hate you,
    when they exclude you and insult you
    and reject your name as evil,
        because of the Son of Man.
23 “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their ancestors treated the prophets.
It seems a little odd that we will feel happiness being poor, going hungry, crying and having people dislike us, telling our stories reminds us the reason we are happy is because Jesus fills us we have something better to look forward too. Isn't that something worth telling others about?.
24 “But woe to you who are rich,
    for you have already received your comfort.
25 Woe to you who are well fed now,
    for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
    for you will mourn and weep.
26 Woe to you when everyone speaks well of you,
    for that is how their ancestors treated the false prophets.

have you ever heard of the saying "what do you give a person who has everything"?
those who are rich, who have never felt hunger and are popular, Jesus tells them this is all you will have there is nothing to look forward to. I believe that those people are missing the most important thing they are not truly complete, maybe because no one told them of Jesus and how truly amazing the rewards for them are.

On that day there was one sermon one crowd, but lots of people had different responses the words, just as today as I stand here in front of you I am responsible for my words but not how others hear them.

(Q & H)
In the Gospel reading today we have things in common with the disciples on the boat, as you think about telling your story you may worry that you will be caught off guard and feel un prepared just as the disciples did, but you need remember that Jesus' words have a calming effect, and most importantly Jesus was present with them through the whole thing as he is and will be for you.

No one needs to have a theology degree to tell their story, you just have to have Jesus in your heart a Bible in your hand and a little help from the Holy spirit.
Think about your story and let it be your legacy, how amazing would it be if in years to come someone else is standing here preaching and telling people of Jesus and saying the reason they are doing this is because someone like you once told them their story.

If you ever need reminding of who we should be telling I want to give you psalm 78:1-7
My people, hear my teaching;
    listen to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth with a parable;
    I will utter hidden things, things from of old—
things we have heard and known,
    things our ancestors have told us.
We will not hide them from their descendants;
    we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,
    his power, and the wonders he has done.
He decreed statutes for Jacob
    and established the law in Israel,
which he commanded our ancestors
    to teach their children,
so the next generation would know them,
    even the children yet to be born,
    and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God
    and would not forget his deeds
    but would keep his commands.

so I ask you ,open your Bible, know your story and most of all leave your legacy by telling others. "I will tell".

No comments:

Post a Comment